Fall means it’s time for soup. This tomato soup with grilled cheese bites is literally the best thing since sliced bread. My tomato soup is chunky and so filling because it includes a surprise pasta.
What is it about fall that makes you want soup and comfort food? I personally think that tomato soup and grilled cheese might be the ultimate comfort food.
Here’s a fun story. I used to hate tomato soup. I don’t know if it was because it was creamy or because it was the Campbell’s version (which I have never been a fan of).
I really don’t know, but in college I finally started trying tomato soup again (not the Campbell’s version) and started to love it. I like my tomato soups to be chunky, yet creamy.
I really love a tomato soup to be hearty enough where it can sustain me for either lunch or dinner. And what better way than to make your own?
What sets this tomato soup apart from your traditional soup is the special addition of pasta. I know it might sound weird, but just trust me and try it.
If you are interested in additional soup recipes, I highly recommend this slow cooker potato soup or this hearty tortellini soup with sausage.
The pasta is wonderful and makes this soup different than any other tomato soup I have ever tried.
And one of my favorite things I have ever made are these grilled cheese bites. You just make them like your usual grilled cheese sandwiches, but cut them up to make bites.
You can dip them in the soup or just eat them by themselves. It’s totally up to you, but I will tell you that dipping them is pretty amazing. Like the one that has been sitting in the soup was my favorite.
It got soaked with the tomato soup, but was still a grilled cheese bite – the perfect combo!
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Amazing Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Bites
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced (4 cloves)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup orecchiette pasta cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 Tablespoons light butter
- 2 oz Gruyere cheese
Make the tomato soup:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper (to taste). Bring the soup to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add the orecchiette. Add the heavy cream as well and simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Make the grilled cheese bites:
- Heat a grill pan to medium heat. Spread each slice of bread with 1/2 Tablespoon of light butter. Lay one butter side down on the grill pan.
- When it's hot, add 1oz of cheese to this slice of bread. Add the next piece of bread butter side up and flip the grilled cheese
- Cook until the cheese is melted and the top is golden brown. Repeat with the other pieces of bread and remaining cheese.
- Cut up the grilled cheese into small bites and enjoy with a bowl of tomato soup.
Thanks Rebekah! I hope you love this as much as we did. I really loved this.
Grilled cheese and tomato soup was one of my favorite meals growing up. Yours sounds delicious and the pictures have my mouth watering. I will definitely be giving this a try!
I never thought to put pasta in tomato soup until one day I asked myself, why not? It’s so freaking good. I hope you try this and let me know how you think it is.
I never had pasta in tomato soup until Chuck made it for me. He is going to love this with the bites. Great recipe! and super cute mug!
Thank you so much Starla. It is definitely perfect for fall because it’s all about comfort food in the fall (atleast for me it is).
Thanks so much…it’s SO good and I really hope you try it. I make soup as often as I can because it’s so tasty!
Isn’t the combo just wonderful? I personally am obsessed with it now because it is so delicious! I hope you love it too.
I loved this recipe so much and grilled cheese bites were amazing. They were such a wonderful addition to the soup. So good!
This looks so delicious and so perfect for Fall! Yum!
This looks delicious! We’re big soup fans (I made a big pot of minestrone last night!) so I can’t wait to try this.
Grilled cheese and tomato soup is my FAVORITE meal. I can’t wait to make this!
I LOVE tomato soup! This looks delicious, and the grilled cheese bites are such a good idea!