Did you know that you don’t have to cook risotto in the oven? It’s true! This barley and chicken risotto recipe is made on the stovetop, in one pot and tastes fantastic. The addition of Parmesan and spinach make this dish rich, yet so flavorful.
You guys! My birthday is tomorrow. I normally don’t get nostalgic on my birthday (I am mostly too excited and giddy to be nostalgic), but this year seems different.
Maybe it’s how old I am turning, or maybe it’s because I’m in a much different place in my life than in years past. I’m not sure. But I am really excited for the year to come…it’s going to be awesome!
While I am eating a bit of cake (I have to have some cake on my birthday), I want to introduce you to this delicious barley and chicken risotto recipe.
I have only tried to make risotto a few times, but you know what? You can add almost anything to risotto to make it just what you want it to be, and I love that versatility.
This “risotto” uses barley, which adds a complexity to the dish that you don’t expect. There’ something about barley that interests me – it’s hearty, yet soft, like rice. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I love it.
What would you add to this risotto?
Barley and Chicken Risotto
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup pearl barley dry
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 pound cooked chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Remove it from heat and cover to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, about 8 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the mushroom and continue to cook until the mushrooms start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil.
- Add 5 cups of the hot chicken broth and the barley. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook about 2 minutes more, until the spinach is wilted. Add in the cooked chicken and Parmesan. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately.
Thank you. This recipe was SO good – I highly recommend it to anyone.
This looks super yummy!