When the weather gets colder, you need an easy soup recipe to warm you up. This chicken tortilla soup has great flavor and is simple to make. It’s also 0 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers Freestyle program.
Do you ever have that moment when you are just totally content? Mine is when I am either blogging or working and listening to Adele.
I have such a love for her. But besides that, I do love chopping things. My sister used to tell me that cooking was therapeutic.
I remember giving her a snarky laugh and saying something along the lines of, “Yea, right”.
Well Melissa, you were right. I have come to find that cooking and chopping veggies is incredibly therapeutic. Call me crazy, but I do love it.
The fun thing about this chicken tortilla soup recipe is that there isn’t a ton of chopping necessary. So, if you don’t have a love of chopping like I do, no worries!
The hardest part of the chopping for me was seeding and chopping the jalapeno. I am sure there is a better way of doing it than I do it, but I haven’t figured it out yet. Meh.
If you are interested in additional soup recipes, I highly recommend this Easy and Quick Chicken Noodle Soup or this creamy broccoli cheese soup.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 frozen uncooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 15 oz corn drained (optional)
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro chopped – for garnish
- 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese shredded
- baked low-fat tortilla strips
- sour cream optional
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and ancho chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, corn, black beans, chicken breasts, and lime juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 20 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove breasts from soup and use 2 forks to shred. Return chicken to pot with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.
Cut your jalapeño in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out with a baby feeding spoon. Next run the pepper halves over a large opening food grater,
Thank you! It is SO easy to make too. I was shocked that it’s a one pot meal. And tastes so good!
This looks awesome!!!
Thank you! It tastes pretty good too, if I do say so myself. Thank you for pinning this too!
This looks soooo good…warm with a little bit of spice. Can’t wait to try it! Pinning to my WW board!