When you are pressed for time but want a healthy dinner, make this easy chicken Fresca casserole recipe. It uses already cooked chicken, which really speeds up the cooking process.
Casserole dishes scream “comfort food” to me. Do you feel the same way? I absolutely love casseroles of almost any kind because they are not only delicious but something I grew up with.
Growing up in the South means that I had my fair share of casseroles (and some things we call casseroles or salads that are NOT either of those things).
As a working mom, I can tell you that I need easy (and I really do mean easy) dinners if I’m cooking.
I have found that cooking a whole young chicken in the slow cooker is the best way to get cooked chicken.
It doesn’t take much time to get that chicken cooked, and it is so freaking easy. Once the chicken is cooked, I shred it and freeze it.
Then I can easily remove the frozen chicken and put it in the fridge so it can thaw.
That has been the easiest way I have found to make and shred chicken (I have to post that recipe for the whole chicken in a slow cooker soon). It’s so easy.
If you are interested in other casserole recipes, I suggest you should try this skillet Italian chicken casserole recipe. It’s delicious and easy to make too.
Easy Chicken Fresca Casserole
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 4 cups rotini pasta uncooked
- 1 cup store bought pico de gallo chopped
- 1/2 cup jack cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, add the cooked chicken, Almond milk, pico de gallo and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Stir to combine and continue cooking until the everything is warm.
- Once the chicken and pico de gallo is warmed and cooked, add in the pasta. Stir to combine everything together. Once combined, pour the contents into a sprayed 9×13 Pyrex dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese onto the dish.
- Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted on top. Serve immediately.