When you are pressed for time, making a quick but healthy dinner can be a challenge. This healthy chicken fried rice recipe is not only incredibly easy to make, it’s delicious too.
One of the hardest things for me to do is cook after a long day at work.
With 2 toddlers, making quick and easy dinners is essential. So coming up with easy dinner options has been my mission as of late.
As I was starting to cook foods for my baby (now toddler), and introducing her to more solid foods, I realized that she would eat almost anything.
So I decided to try and make one of my all time favorite take out meals.
Not only was it a hit with the family, she absolutely loved it. She ate more than I have seen her eat in quite a while.
So this has now become a regular meal in our rotations, because it’s so family friendly. And if a toddler loves it, you bet I’m going to make it again and again.
If you are interested in additional quick and easy recipes, try this beef and broccoli recipe or this white bean pork chili recipe.
If you are interested in other fried rice recipes, try this Vietnamese fried rice is amazing (such unique flavors), or this shrimp fried rice recipe.
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 6 oz cooked chicken chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger minced
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Optional Ingredients to Add:
- 1 cup fresh snap peas halved
- 1 medium red pepper sliced thin
- In a large nonstick wok-style pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion, peas and carrots, garlic and ginger, red pepper and snap peas (if using) to the pan.
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the peas and carrots are cooked through.
- Add the chicken and stir until combined. Add in the rice, stir to combine and heat through.
- Create a hole in the pan by spreading out the rice, chicken and veggies. Add the eggs and cook until scrambled. Mix the cooked eggs with the rest of the meal.
- Add the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Stir to combine. You can add more soy sauce if necessary.
You need to make this ASAP – it’s so easy and he will LOVE it. I wish I had more of it, actually!
Chuck loooooves fried rice. Totally making this for him one night!
I hope you do! Tell me how you like it when you try it…I’d love to hear other people try these recipes and let me know their thoughts!
Chinese and Mexican are my weaknesses, so I can tell you how great it is to find something that is healthy and tastes great! I also couldn’t believe how easy this was. You can get everything done in about 20-30 minutes, or less if you use leftover rice. I feel so terrible for our animal. She doesn’t know what blunder we went through, but I’m glad we know how.
Haha! I love that this is healthy fried rice, but the taste is there. I’ve tried Skinnytaste’s fried rice and it was so hard. This recipe was so incredibly easy to make. It got the husband approval too.
Oh yum. Chicken fried rice is one of my weaknesses so I’ll definitely be trying this!
YUM! We love Chinese food so finding a “better for you” version is awesome. Sorry about your cat situation! It’s kind of funny but would be confusing at first 🙂
There’s something you need to know about me: I’m a fried rice addict. This recipe will be used in my house FOR SURE.