Store bought BBQ sauce is filled with high calorie sugars. This homemade BBQ sauce only includes a little bit of brown sugar and tastes better than some of the store bought sauces you can find. Try it and you will understand what I mean.
I am a sauce lover. Any type of condiment, I want some of it. I also used to put ketchup on almost everything – burgers, fries, chicken fingers….anything.
The problem with store bought sauces is that you never really know what the companies put into these sauces.
Yes, you can read the labels but who really has time to do that when you grocery shop? I don’t.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
But you know what? It’s easy to make your own sauce. This homemade BBQ sauce can be made in about 10 -15 minutes.
While the ingredient list might look intimidating, it is very simple to throw together.
Yes, the store bought versions are convenient, but making my own gives me a peace of mind that I don’t get with those store bought sauces. PS – they are also very expensive.
Making my own can save us so much money. Plus if I make it myself, I know exactly what is in it. You should try this homemade marinara sauce – no sugar in it!
Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for about a week.
What is your favorite kind of sauce?
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons sugar free syrup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium-sized pot, add the olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the spices and bring to a boil.
- Once it's boiling, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until everything has combined.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator for about a week.
Thank you. It’s so good and fairly easy to make too.
I love barbecue sauce and have been looking for a healthy recipe for ages ! Thanks for sharing this one 🙂
Sorry about that! I changed it to sugar free syrup. And I made a note at the bottom about using pure maple syrup and how that might affect the SmartPoint value. Hopefully that helps make it clearer.
sugar free maple syrup? …… artificial?