This Instant Pot chicken stew recipe is protein packed and can be on the table in about 20 minutes. If you don’t have an Instant Pot I’ve included instructions for the slow cooker too.
Do you have that one kitchen gadget that you use constantly? I thought mine was the slow cooker (which I also love), but now I think it’s the Instant Pot.
If you are on the fence with buying an Instant Pot, this post on why the Instant Pot is a good investment could help.
I love the convenience of it and how easy it is to throw things in it and let it do the cooking for me.
I also love how it’s a “one pot” type of cooking method. Almost everything can be cooked/sautéed/prepped in the Instant Pot. This helps to save on dishes each night, which makes my husband happy.
I have been on a stew kick lately. I can’t seem to get enough of it. But sometimes even stews aren’t hearty enough to keep me full for very long.
No Instant Pot? No Problem! You can make this recipe in the slow cooker.
See the recipe card below for how to make it in the slow cooker.
Please note: The cooking time listed in the recipe does not include the time it takes to get the dish up to pressure or natural release time.
So, factor that in when you are planning your dinner menu. But don’t let that discourage you, because it really does make it easier to get dinner on the table.
FAQs about this recipe
Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir to combine everything together.
Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Once the cooker has finished, take the chicken out and shred it using 2 forks.
Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
The protein comes from the chicken breasts and also from the kidney beans.
You can also use the SOUP setting, if applicable, for this recipe. Set the timer to 10 minutes using this setting and proceed with the recipe.
You can use the Quick Release option on your electric pressure cooker, if you are pressed for time.
I love how quick this recipe took to cook (that’s the beauty of the Instant Pot or any other electric pressure cooker).
The cooking time is only 10 minutes, and that includes fully cooking the red potatoes.
What are your favorite Instant Pot recipes?
Instant Pot Protein Packed Chicken Stew
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 small carrots chopped
- 1 pound small red potatoes corsely chopped
- 15oz can diced tomatoes with juices
- 15oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Heat the olive oil on SAUTE mode of your electric pressure cooker with the lid off. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots and stir. Cook the veggies for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, diced tomatoes, beans, broth. Lay the chicken on top of the veggies and add the oregano and red pepper flakes over the chicken. Season everything with salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid and select MANUAL mode. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Use a natural release when the cooking is complete (this takes 10 – 15 minutes). Remove the chicken breast and shred. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir everything together. Return the chicken to the stew, stir and serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Stir to combine everything together.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Once the cooker has finished, take the chicken out and shred it using 2 forks.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir to combine.