Breakfast doesn’t have to be something that you have to stress over. These southwest breakfast bowls can be prepped ahead of time and heated up in the microwave for a quick and easy breakfast that will keep you full for hours.
They are only 2 Freestyle points on Weight Watchers per serving.
For the Recipe Redux challenge this month, we had to find a recipe in a cookbook that was inspired by 2016. This recipe is inspired from the Calorie – Smart Meals cookbook and can be found on page 16.
I love anything southwest inspired, so I was really excited to try to make the cookbook recipe my own. And who doesn’t love quick and easy breakfasts?
What sets this recipe apart from most breakfast recipes is that it uses egg beaters instead of regular eggs.
Why? Because egg beaters are less points (16oz or 1 container of egg beaters are only 3 Freestyle points in total).
Using egg beaters allows you to put the egg mixture into a taco shell or a taco bowl (like I did).
If you are interested in additional southwest style breakfasts, try this southwest breakfast quiche recipe. It’s so easy and tastes amazing.
If you live a hectic life (who doesn’t?), make the egg mixture ahead of time or over the weekend.
Then you can just heat up a 1/2 cup of the egg mixture with a tortilla bowl in the microwave for about a minute.
It makes breakfast SO much easier and will keep you full for so long.
Southwest Breakfast Bowls
- 16 oz egg beaters
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 items Old El Paso soft taco bowls
- 2 Tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil spray
- salsa optional
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients except the soft taco bowls. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan to medium heat. Spray olive oil in the pan and let it warm up. When it’s ready, add the egg beater mixture and cook until the egg beaters and veggies are cooked, about 10 minutes.
- While the eggs and veggies are cooking, heat the soft taco bowls according to the package directions.
- When the eggs are cooked and the veggies are soft, spoon out 1/2 cup of the mixture and add them to a warmed bowl. Serve immediately.
Did you heat the shells according to the package directions? I can’t remember how long I initially heated them up for, but I don’t remember them being crunchy in spots.
I made these this morning, but struggled with the shells. I put them in the micro, but they got crunch in some spots and were soft in others. Did you have any issues with yours? Any tips?
I just bought the bowls to make them! Looks like they are 3 smart points each? (the bowls that is) Perfect for breakfast!
Haha! I get hungry every time I look at this recipe. It was SO good and so easy to make ahead of time. You should definitely try it soon.
I probably should have waited for breakfast to look at this post. I’m hungry now!