When you have that Chinese food craving, try this easy beef and broccoli recipe instead. It’s so easy to make and tastes even better than your typical Chinese takeout. The sirloin steak cooks perfectly and is tender.
If there is one thing that I miss more than anything while dieting is Chinese takeout. You just don’t know what they are cooking the food in and what ingredients they are using.
So, when I decided to join Weight Watchers, I was really worried that I wouldn’t be able to eat my Chinese food while dieting.
What I love about this recipe is that it tastes authentic. It reminds me of my favorite Chinese takeout place and I just love that I can replicate it.
Related: Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Uncover the pan and add in the ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Bring the heat to a simmer and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
In a small bowl, stir in the remaining cornstarch, soy sauce, water and chicken broth. Add the mixture to the simmering food. Add the beef back into the pan and cook until heated through. Serve immediately.
The Easiest Beef and Broccoli
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 lb sirloin steak sliced into small chunks
- olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 5 cups uncooked broccoli florets
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- Heat a large non-stick wok to medium heat. Place just enough olive oil to cook the meat.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1 1/2 T cornstarch and the salt. Mix in the beef and coat all pieces.
- Cook the beef until it is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Once cooked, remove the beef from the pan.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli florets and cover. Cook and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add in the ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Bring the heat to a simmer and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, stir in the remaining cornstarch, soy sauce, water and chicken broth. Add the mixture to the simmering food.
- Add the beef back into the pan and cook until heated through.
- Serve immediately.