Now that the weather is finally getting cooler, it’s time to breakout the chili and soup recipes. This 3 bean turkey chili recipe kind of just happened – which is what I love most about cooking. It’s only 3 SmartPoints per serving on Weight Watchers.
Who doesn’t love chili on a cold fall or winter night? I know I do. There is something so comforting about chili. And what is even better is that turkey chili is healthier for you than traditional beef chili.
I love that turkey chili doesn’t skimp on the flavor of traditional chili. I actually like it better than the original…not sure why. But there is something so clean about eating turkey chili instead of regular chili.
Am I the only one who thinks that? It might sound weird, but I just love it so much.
I knew I wanted to make turkey chili, but the recipe I was using as a guide was just that…a guide. So, here is a delicious 3 bean turkey chili for you to make with your family.
There is something so comforting about chili on a cold evening, and this one truly delivers. The brown sugar in the recipe really does give this chili an unexpected flavor – which is so surprising.
To make this 3 bean turkey chili:
Chop the veggies – the peppers and the onion. Heat a large pot to medium. Add in the olive oil. When it’s warm, add the onion and minced garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes. Then add in the peppers, and cook another 5 minutes.
Related: White Chicken Chili
Next, add the ground turkey and cook through. This will take about 10 minutes, depending on your range. Season the meat mixture with the spices. Stir in the tomatoes and let simmer about 15 minutes. Then add in all the beans, and cook another 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
Remove from heat and serve.
3 Bean Turkey Chili
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 2 green peppers chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 16 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 16 oz can dark kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 16 oz can chili beans
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 lb ground turkey
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the garlic, red onions, and peppers. Cook until veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the turkey, and cook until cooked through. Then add in the spices and stir to combine. Add in the brown sugar and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the beans and heat them for another 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
- Serve immediately.