A recipe that only uses 3 ingredients? This arepas de maiz recipe really only uses 3 ingredients and tastes like an authentic arepas.
What are arepas? They are delcious cornmeal cakes that resemble an English muffin.
While this recipe is the base recipe, you can stuff arepas with all sorts of things, if you want something more filling.
Ingredients needed for this recipe
Substitutions you can use with this recipe
- Did you know that you can stuff these? You can! Try stuffing them with shredded chicken, cooked ground beef, shredded pork or cheese. Anything can be used to stuff these, if you didn’t want to eat them plain.
- Masarepa flour comes in a bunch of different brands. Feel free to try one of these: Goya or P.A.N.
FAQs about this recipe
Arepas are a staple in Central and South America countries, primarily Colombia or Venezuela.
Because arepas are made from a corn based dough, they are generally gluten free if they are eaten plain Depending on what you stuff them with, they might not remain gluten free.
One corncake is about 215 calories.
Pupusas are a traditional small, round corncake from El Salvador. Arepas as traditional small, round corncakes from Columbia or Venezuela. The difference between the two really depends on the country you are in.
Masarepa is a special corn flour that is precooked and used to make arepas. These are a staple food in Venezuela and Colombia.
Have you tried making Arepas?
Arepas De Maiz (Authentic Arepas Recipe!)
- 1 cup masarepa I used the brand P.A.N
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- Mix the ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well until a you can form a ball.
- Divide the dough in 4 even balls.
- Dip the ball in cold water, so it doesn’t stick, and place on plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over the ball and press down with a plate. Make them as thick or thin as you like. Repeat this with each ball of dough.
- In a pan heat a little bit of oil and fry each arepa for about 2-4 minutes on each side, or until the edges start to brown a little bit.
- You can also eat this with cheese or a fried egg on top.