One pot meals and recipes are essential in our house. This cheesy sausage pasta skillet is perfect for those busy weeknights when you are pressed for time. This recipe is easy and delicious, and 11 Freestyle SmartPoints on Weight Watchers.
I have a hard time cutting certain foods out of my diet. I know that if I try to cut something out, I will just keep craving it more and more until I relent and over-eat. So, I try to eat almost all of my favorite foods in moderation, because I know that I will over eat certain things if I don’t do that. It might not make sense to you, but it’s working for me.
One of those foods that I can’t cut out is pasta. I just love it too much to completely cut it out. I try not to eat pasta too often, but when I do, I want the meal to be easy to make and taste amazing.
I don’t know what it is, but there is something so interesting about the flavors of ground sausage with pasta and cheese. The sausage is a little bit sweet, but then you have the cheesy pasta, which is more salty. It’s a great combination that I want to have more and more often. Also, adding in the kale helps to keep this dish a little bit more healthy, and it makes it so much more colorful. I love adding kale or spinach to certain dishes because it really brightens up the dish and gives you those greens that you need in your diet.
To make this cheesy sausage pasta skillet:
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and sausage. Cook until the onion is translucent and the sausage is cooked. Add the oregano and stir, breaking up the sausage. Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, cooked penne and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the kale and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe, you should try this cheesy chicken fajita skillet recipe – a one pot meal that’s easy to make and tastes amazing!
Cheesy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 1 lb mild sausage links sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups penne pasta cooked
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 10 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup kale chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and sausage. Cook until the onion is translucent and the sausage is cooked. Add the oregano and stir to break up the sausage.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, cooked penne and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the kale and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.