When the weather gets colder, you need an easy soup recipe to warm you up. This chicken tortilla soup has great flavor and is simple to make. It’s also 0 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers Freestyle program.
Do you ever have that moment when you are just totally content? Mine is when I am either blogging or working and listening to Adele.
I have such a love for her. But besides that, I do love chopping things. My sister used to tell me that cooking was therapeutic.
I remember giving her a snarky laugh and saying something along the lines of, “Yea, right”.
Well Melissa, you were right. I have come to find that cooking and chopping veggies is incredibly therapeutic. Call me crazy, but I do love it.
The fun thing about this chicken tortilla soup recipe is that there isn’t a ton of chopping necessary. So, if you don’t have a love of chopping like I do, no worries!
The hardest part of the chopping for me was seeding and chopping the jalapeno. I am sure there is a better way of doing it than I do it, but I haven’t figured it out yet. Meh.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 frozen uncooked chicken breasts
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 15 oz corn drained (optional)
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro chopped – for garnish
- 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese shredded
- baked low-fat tortilla strips
- sour cream optional
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat. Add onion and salt and cook for 5-10 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, and ancho chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes, corn, black beans, chicken breasts, and lime juice.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered for 20 minutes or until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Remove breasts from soup and use 2 forks to shred. Return chicken to pot with cilantro.
- Serve soup garnished with cheese and tortilla chips.