If you are needing a quick and easy dessert option, these vegan chocolate chip muffins are a favorite in our house. With no egg or milk, apple sauce is the secret ingredient binding the dry ingredients and adding to the moist texture.
They are healthier than most chocolate chip muffins – only 3 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers Freestyle. You know you have a winner when these are requested by your husband.
Did you know that 16 Ghirardelli chocolate chips are only 4 points? So, I thought what if I created a recipe that incorporated chocolate chips into a chocolate muffin. What would happen? Well, deliciousness, obviously.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
FAQs about this recipe
No! This recipe doesn’t include eggs. The applesauce actually helps to bind everything together like eggs do with baking.
No, they are nutritionally similar. Brown sugar does have additional minerals that white sugar doesn’t have, but using brown sugar doesn’t give you any more health benefits.
Brown sugar is essential white sugar with molasses. The molasses allows the brown sugar to retain moisture, which results in baked goods that are both soft and dense (like these muffins).
White sugar is used in baked goods when you want the result to rise.
When I was trying to lose weight, I struggled with having chocolate/sugar cravings. Part of the struggle is because there aren’t a ton of healthier dessert options out there. At least not many that taste good.
Even on my site, there aren’t a ton of dessert options. It’s not that I don’t like dessert – or chocolate. I absolutely do.
It’s because it’s hard to find ways to cut back on sugar within desserts (at least I’ve struggled with it), while still maintaining a delicious recipe.
What is your favorite chocolate treat?
Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3/4 cup white all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed tightly
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16-24 dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together water, applesauce, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the smaller liquid ingredients into the larger bowl. Mix to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter mixture into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.