With fall right around the corner, soup season is coming! And what better way to start soup season than with this creamy broccoli cheese soup? I don’t know about you but I absolutely love anything that’s creamy, cheesy and delicious.
I love soups. Like I really could eat them almost all the time. Yes, I love all types of foods, but soups are so easy and vary greatly depending on what you put in them.
The variety and different flavors that you can experience in soup make them timeless, in my opinion. Yes, I also realize that I just talked about soup for too long…but now I’m craving it. Such is life.
Ingredients used for this recipe
What I really love is a good one-pot meal. Something I can just combine everything and cook it, letting it simmer and smell up the house. Those are my favorites.
This soup isn’t quite a one-pot meal, but it’s close. I chose to steam the broccoli in a smaller pot and use my bigger pot for the soup itself.
This helped make sure that the broccoli was really soft because I let it steam for a long time.
I can’t remember how long, exactly, but I steamed it from when I began cooking the rest of the soup until it was time to add the broccoli into it. Yep…that long (probably 15 minutes or so).
And you know what? It was so good because it got cooked to death and wasn’t crunchy, but still had broccoli attributes.
What is your favorite soup recipe?
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups broccoli steamed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons light butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons half and half
- 2 oz Gruyere cheese grated
- 8 oz Cabot Cheese reduced fat
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. Add the onion and garlic and stir. Cook until the onion is softened and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the flour to thicken the soup. Cook the flour and onion until it turns golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the veggie stock and half and half and stir constantly until the liquid thickens, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the cheese and broccoli to the soup. Stir constantly until the cheese completely melts. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, or as needed. Serve immediately.