Do you love gumbo, but don’t love the seafood? This easy vegetable gumbo is just for you. It’s only 2 SmartPoints per serving on Weight Watchers (7 SmartPoints if you add rice), so it’s healthy and easy to make.
Does your body ever talk to you and tell you what foods it wants? This happens to me when I am craving veggies. And it usually happens when I haven’t been doing a good job of eating vegetables.
The cravings become intense when my body needs something. Do you experience that?
It’s similar (almost) to pregnancy cravings. I think it’s the bodies way of saying “Hello lady….I’m needing some vegetables please”.
When I get this way, I have to do what my body is asking for, you know? This recipe is really a great one to get those vegetables into your diet.
My husband calls this “Veggie Mumbo Jumbo Gumbo”. I’m trying to add veggies in almost everything that I have been eating – including turkey burgers (post coming soon).
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 bunch kale coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup black eyed peas I used dried ones
- 1/2 cup navy beans I used dried ones
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and then add the onion, peppers, carrots and garlic. Cook until the veggies are tender and cooked.
- Add the soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the beans and kale.
- Bring the heat down to a simmer, and cover for about 30 minutes, or until the beans are cooked and tender.