With winter approaching, it is time to whip out all the soup recipes. This ground turkey winter minestrone soup tastes amazing and is filling enough, even with hungry husbands. Your family will love this recipe!
The best part? It’s only 2 Freestyle points per serving, 1 cup.
I have to confess something. I have never used butternut squash in a recipe before. Yep…never used it.
But I also knew that had to change because it’s delicious to eat in so many things and butternut squash just screams fall/winter to me. Well, I was lucky enough to find a butternut squash and use it for the first time with this recipe.
And I have to admit that I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to cook a butternut squash. It’s amazing and tastes sweeter than I thought it would. It’s really delicious if you haven’t tried it for yourself. So good.
I love so many things about fall, but few match my love for soups. If you don’t believe me, you should check out this slow cooker chicken noodle soup recipe. Anyways, as much as I love soups, I also love stews – and this recipe is much more like a stew.
Stews are awesome because it’s hearty and filling. The butternut squash brings an added flavor to the stew that you might find unexpected. Plus the ground turkey adds that protein we are all searching for.
And I always feel better about myself and my life choices when kale is involved. Plus, it’s only 2 Freestyle points per serving on Weight Watchers.
To make this ground turkey winter minestrone soup recipe:
Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot. Add the ground turkey and cook over medium-low heat until cooked. Add the onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic and thyme and cook for 8-10 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper to the pot. Bring this to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Add the beans, kale and cooked pasta and heat through. Serve immediately.
Ground Turkey Winter Minestrone
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 26 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 15 oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 2 cups kale chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot. Add the ground turkey and cook over medium-low heat until cooked. Add the onions, carrots, celery, squash, garlic and thyme and cook for 8-10 minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper to the pot. Bring this to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Add the beans, kale and cooked pasta and heat through. Serve immediately.