When you are pressed for time, making a quick but healthy dinner can be a challenge. This healthy chicken fried rice recipe is not only incredibly easy to make, it’s delicious too.
One of the hardest things for me to do is cook after a long day at work.
With 2 toddlers, making quick and easy dinners is essential. So coming up with easy dinner options has been my mission as of late.
As I was starting to cook foods for my baby (now toddler), and introducing her to more solid foods, I realized that she would eat almost anything.
So I decided to try and make one of my all time favorite take out meals.
Not only was it a hit with the family, she absolutely loved it. She ate more than I have seen her eat in quite a while.
So this has now become a regular meal in our rotations, because it’s so family friendly. And if a toddler loves it, you bet I’m going to make it again and again.
Healthy Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 6 oz cooked chicken chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger minced
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Optional Ingredients to Add:
- 1 cup fresh snap peas halved
- 1 medium red pepper sliced thin
- In a large nonstick wok-style pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion, peas and carrots, garlic and ginger, red pepper and snap peas (if using) to the pan.
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes until the peas and carrots are cooked through.
- Add the chicken and stir until combined. Add in the rice, stir to combine and heat through.
- Create a hole in the pan by spreading out the rice, chicken and veggies. Add the eggs and cook until scrambled. Mix the cooked eggs with the rest of the meal.
- Add the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Stir to combine. You can add more soy sauce if necessary.