Confession time: I used to love the Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell. I created this hearty beef taco bake earlier this summer because the cravings are real guys. They are so real.
It was fun to create a recipe based on what I loved from the Taco Bell version. To my knowledge (and I haven’t had the Taco Bell version in a long time) is that this one is on par with their version…but this one is MUCH healthier!
If you are looking for another taco recipe, these low carb tacos are perfect.
Doesn’t this look delicious?
I used a combo of ground beef and low-fat refried beans (loved the beans in this dish) with canned tomatoes to really bring this recipe to a new level.
Mixing it all together just brings that much more flavor to this delicious recipe – and who doesn’t want more flavor with the food they are eating?
What are your favorite meat recipes?
Hearty Beef Taco Bake
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup reduced fat refried beans
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained and rinsed
- 4 oz Cabot cheese reduced fat, grated
- 3 large tortillas
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef over medium-low heat until it’s completely browned and cooked through. Drain the fat.
- In the same skillet, add the refried beans and mix with the cooked beef. Stir consistently until the beans have melted with the beef (you will understand what I mean when you are cooking this). Add the taco seasoning, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- In a prepared Pyrex dish, lay one tortilla shell on the bottom. Add the beef mixture next. Top with the grated cheese. Repeat until you have used up all 3 tortillas. Spread the enchilada sauce on top of the pie and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy!