This Italian classic just got a pasta free makeover. For an easy low-carb option, try this lightened up lasagna recipe. It doesn’t take away any of the taste of traditional lasagna flavors, but it’s without all the calories and guilt.
While this recipe is delicious and cheesy, it’s also different. How is it different? It doesn’t use actual noodles. It uses zucchini to make this a wonderful low-carb option.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe
I absolutely love lasagna, but for someone on Weight Watchers, I am pretty sure you don’t want to waste points on those noodles. I know that I don’t. So, using zucchini is such a great alternative.
Does it affect the taste at all? Nope! I promise you that you won’t even notice that you are eating zucchini. And this is husband approved!
The key to this wonderful recipe is the Make-Ahead Marinara sauce. This stuff is so delicious and it’s so easy to make.
To make thin sliced zucchini noodles, I recommend a mandolin slicer, like this one (affiliate link). Jeremy bought this one for me and I love it!
Lightened Up Lasagna
- olive oil spray
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large zucchini sliced thin
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz part-skim Ricotta cheese
- 5 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- Make-Ahead Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz part skim Mozzarella shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil spray to medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and meat. Cook until the onion is translucent and the meat is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Finally, add the sauce to the meat mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the Ricotta cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a large Pyrex 9×13 baking dish, spoon a small amount of sauce to cover the bottom. Add a layer of zucchini. Add another layer of the sauce (1/3), then half of the Ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle half of the meat on top of the Ricotta cheese mixture. Place another layer of zucchini. Add another third of the sauce, and half of the Ricotta cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of the meat. Finish with the last of the sauce. Sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the zucchini looks cooked through.