A new healthy dinner option is here! This lemon shrimp and grits recipe is pretty perfect and amazing for a quick summer southern meal when you are craving seafood.
Since I live in the south – shrimp and grits are pretty much the best thing created since sliced bread. If you don’t think you would like this dish, think again.
You don’t know what you are missing. The shrimp can be prepared so many different ways, which is fantastic. The cheese grits are a wonderful mix of cheese and deliciousness.
The lemon juice squeezed on top and in the sauce add just a hint of summer freshness to an already delightful dish.
I don’t know what it is about lemon, but I absolutely love it – and loved it with the shrimp and grits. These are life changing, I promise you that.
I personally love that you can lighten up something that you grew up loving, and making it into a healthy meal.
It’s not always that you can lighten something up and make it taste amazing, but this dish does just that.
And it’s absolutely perfect for the summer weather that decided to show up here a few weeks ago. And it’s a quick meal that can be put on your table in about 35 minutes. Pretty perfect for me!
What are your favorite seafood recipe?
Lightened Up Lemon Shrimp and Grits
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup instant grits
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 Tablespoon light butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- chopped nuts for serving optional
Cook the Grits
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Once it's boiling, slowly add in the grits, with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan and cheddar cheese and 1 T butter. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm and set aside.
Cook the Shrimp
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne pepper and cook until the shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove shrimp from heat and add 2 tablespoons water, lemon juice and parsley to the same skillet. Stir in the shrimp and coat with the sauce
- To serve, place the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce