If you are craving breakfast food and want pancakes without the guilt, these low-fat lemon pancakes are exactly what you are looking for. They only have 1g of fat total in them, and they don’t taste like anything low-fat.
A few weeks ago, my oldest friend pleaded that she wanted me to figure out a way for her to have pancakes that are low-fat. I said yes, without really thinking what a challenge this might become. I did research and searched and searched for some kind of solution to her problem. You see, she is 8 months pregnant and suffering from gallstones, so having anything with large fat content wouldn’t work. So I kept searching.
Remember when I praised Jeremy for testing my recipes and that they are not always winners? Well, this recipe took quite a few tests to get it edible (my first batch tasted like hockey pucks and flour). After adding a few spices and some lemon juice (seriously…the best thing ever), I finally had a tasty pancake.
[Tweet “When your friend needs help, you come up with a low-fat lemon pancake recipe.”]
I had no idea how difficult this was going to be. I really didn’t understand how much fat are in some “low calorie” foods. It took a few tries to find something that might work and then I had to modify it again. And again. And again. I think I modified this recipe 4 times before landing on the version we ate at their house. I am so glad I tested this recipe too, before we showed up at her house. Goodness. If I hadn’t, I can only imagine what would have happened!
No one likes hockey pucks as food. Or anything that tastes like flour. Gross.
To make this low-fat lemon pancake recipe:
In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (through the spices). In a smaller mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients (through the lemon juice). Mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ones. Stir to completely combine.
On a hot griddle, add a teaspoon of the pancake batter. Cook up to 4 pancakes at a time, flipping once during cooking, and placing on a plate to reserve until all the pancakes have been cooked.
Low-Fat Lemon Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg beaters
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- fresh strawberries sliced
- fresh blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, through the spices.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients, through the lemon juice. Mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ones. Stir to completely combine.
- On a hot griddle, add 1/4 cup of the pancake batter. Cook up to 4 pancakes at a time, flipping once during cooking, and placing on a plate to reserve until all the pancakes have been cooked.