If you are craving breakfast food and want pancakes without the guilt, these low-fat lemon pancakes are exactly what you are looking for. They only have 1g of fat total in them, and they don’t taste like anything low-fat.
A few weeks ago, my oldest friend pleaded that she wanted me to figure out a way for her to have pancakes that are low-fat. I said yes, without really thinking what a challenge this might become.
I did research and searched and searched for some kind of solution to her problem. I love pancakes, but coming up with a low-fat version was very challenging.
You see, she is 8 months pregnant and suffering from gallstones, so having anything with large fat content wouldn’t work. So I kept searching.
Remember when I praised Jeremy for testing my recipes and that they are not always winners? Well, this recipe took quite a few tests to get it edible (my first batch tasted like hockey pucks and flour).
After adding a few spices and some lemon juice (seriously…the best thing ever), I finally had a tasty pancake.
I had no idea how difficult this was going to be. I really didn’t understand how much fat are in some “low calorie” foods.
It took a few tries to find something that might work and then I had to modify it again. And again. And again.
I think I modified this recipe 4 times before landing on the version we ate at their house. I am so glad I tested this recipe too, before we showed up at her house.
Goodness. If I hadn’t, I can only imagine what would have happened! I am so glad that my kids love this recipe as well.
No one likes hockey pucks as food. Or anything that tastes like flour. Gross.
If you are interested in additional breakfast recipes, you should check out these healthy breakfasts for busy weekdays.
Low-Fat Lemon Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg beaters
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- fresh strawberries sliced
- fresh blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, through the spices.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients, through the lemon juice. Mix together the wet ingredients with the dry ones. Stir to completely combine.
- On a hot griddle, add 1/4 cup of the pancake batter. Cook up to 4 pancakes at a time, flipping once during cooking, and placing on a plate to reserve until all the pancakes have been cooked.
Thank you Christine! It was so delicious and divine. I loved adding the berries on top too. It was perfect.
Wow, what a pretty dish! I love the colors, and I’m sure that the lemon and berry combination is just divine.
I love lemon too. I have such a love for it, that I add it in almost everything. The lemon was delicious in these pancakes.
I love lemon, these sound delicious! What a good friend you are 🙂