Gosh, this cold weather has got me wanting, and craving comfort food. I don’t know what it is, but I am loving all the things that will warm up my cold soul.
Ok, that is a bit dramatic, but I am loving cooking things that are easy to do, but also will warm me up on these cold nights. Sometimes a husband, a blanket, and a fluffy cat just aren’t enough.
We were at a wedding this past weekend, so that threw off my whole weekend-meal-planning that I normally do. The wedding was obviously worth it, but the weather here decided to be a pain on Monday.
It was raining as I left work and I made it to the store unscathed. As I’m driving home, the rain starts pounding a little bit harder. I’m not thinking much of it; I just wanted to get home and start getting dinner started.
Well, I pop my trunk when I finally make it to our house, and a deluge occurs. I get completely soaked as I hurry up the stairs with my arms full of groceries. How those bags didn’t break, I will never know.
If you are interested in other delicious recipes, try this Feta and Sundried Tomato Turkey Meatloaf recipe.
After barely surviving this crazy weather, I decide to make these creamy chicken pot pies, because why not? I need some comfort food in my life since I am soaked to the bone, so it totally makes sense, right?
I had dinner cooked and on the table in 30 minutes you guys. It’s that quick and easy…and saved me from a sad night of getting rained on.
Mini Creamy Chicken Pot Pies
- 1 Tablespoon light butter
- 1 1/2 lbs precooked chicken breasts cubed
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced fat chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 oz low fat or light cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 canister low fat crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt 1/2 T butter in a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Set the cooked chicken aside.
- Melt the remaining butter and add in the onion, celery and carrots and cook stirring occasionally until the veggies start to soften.
- Reduce heat and add in the flour. Make sure to coat all the veggies with the flour. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in peas, cream cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir until the mixture is thickened and the veggies are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the chicken back in and stir until heated through.
- Divide the mixture into the 8 ramekins. Put one uncooked crescent roll on each of the ramekins. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool about 5 minutes.