For an easy appetizer, try this roasted garlic hummus with flatbread. It’s easy to make – just roast the garlic in olive oil in a foil pouch – and blend with chickpeas and a few more spices. So easy and it will impress your guests to no end.
I finally decided to create my own hummus recipe. I love hummus and I wanted to try my hand at creating some from scratch because, it can’t be that hard, right?
I was shocked at how great it turned out – and it was even husband approved. My husband doesn’t like hummus – but he loved this. He went back for seconds…twice.
This is also Weight Watcher friendly – it’s only 2 SmartPoints per serving, 1 Tablespoon. When I was using my snack bag for eating snacks at work, I would pack my own hummus and eat it with veggies.
It’s a healthy and delicious snack when you are in a bind or aren’t sure what different snacks you might find at different gatherings.
If you are interested in additional snack recipes, these peanut butter protein balls are fabulous.
Roasted Garlic Hummus With Flatbread
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 3 Tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
To Roast the Garlic:
- Place the cloves of garlic on aluminum foil. Sprinkle these with olive oil. Create a packet with the aluminum foil and bake about 20 minutes in the oven. Let cool for about 2 minutes.
To make the hummus:
- Place the roasted garlic and chickpeas in a food processor. Pulse until the chickpeas are completely blended.
- Add in the olive oil, lemon juice, water,cayenne pepper and salt. Mix again in the food processor until the consistency you are looking for.
To prepare the flatbread:
- I used naan and prepared it as the directions on the bag – from fresh.