When you are craving Chinese food, try this skillet Mongolian beef recipe. It’s homemade, so you know it’s healthier than your take-out options. And it can be on your table in about 30 minutes flat. Not too shabby when you are busy and need a quick dinner option during the weekdays.
I love love love Chinese food. It’s something I crave constantly, but never order now that I am maintaining my weight on Weight Watchers.
Even if I wanted it, I wouldn’t order it through take-out. If I’m not in the mood for takeout, I love making this chili recipe.
It’s just not worth it to me to not know what they are putting in their recipes. So, I make my own.
And it’s so easy to make yourself. I was skeptical at first, but after making this twice now, it has become a staple in our house.
This recipe has a bit of a kick to it. If you aren’t a fan of spicier things, don’t include the hoisin sauce. Just skip it.
The first time I tried this recipe, I couldn’t find hoisin sauce at the grocery store. So I just didn’t include it.
When I remade this recipe a few weeks later, I was able to find hoisin sauce and realized what it was meant to add to the recipe.
It gives it a little bit of a kick, without your mouth feeling like it’s on fire. I loved both of these options and would make them both ways next time.
What is your favorite Chinese takeout meal?
Skillet Mongolian Beef
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 pound flat iron steak cubed
- 3 stalks green onions chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, sambal oelek, hoisin sauce, sherry, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large non-stick wok over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and cubed steak. Cook until the steak is cooked through, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Once the steak is cooked, add the sauce you mixed earlier. Stir to combine. Add the green onions and continue cooking until the green onions are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately.