*Spoiler: I am a sucker for a Philly Cheesesteak. I don’t care where it comes from. As long as it has meat, peppers and cheese in it, I will eat it and love it. But with that love comes a whole bunch of unnecessary calories. So, what gives?
When I found the base recipe on Weight Watchers, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I even tried out their version as a test to see how this would turn out…and it was good, but needed some improvements. I added mushrooms and peppers to the base recipe – and used a hoagie instead of flatbread. You can take out the innards of the bread to make it even more Weight Watchers friendly.
In a large non-stick skillet, saute the onions, peppers and mushrooms with a bit of cooking spray. Once the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, add in the cubed chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes.
Related: Feta Stuffed Chicken Burgers
In the pan, separate the chicken mixture into 4 quadrants and add the cheese. Let the cheese melt in the pan and then spoon it out into the buns. Serve immediately.
Skinny Chicken Philly
If you choose to use a hoagie instead of the hot dog bun, the SmartPoints will be 10.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 lb chicken pounded thin cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- 4 slices of white American cheese
- 4 light hot dog buns or hoagies
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Coat it with cooking spray. Once the skillet is hot, add in the onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft.
- Add in the cubed chicken and spices, cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
- After the chicken is cooked, divide the contents into 4 quadrants. Add a slice of cheese to each of the quadrants and let the cheese melt.
- Once the cheese is melted, scoop the contents into the hot dog buns and serve immediately.