When you are wanting comfort food, but don’t want to use up all of your daily SmartPoints, look no further than this skinny open faced chicken philly. I love how the flavors come together for this sandwich. And it’s lower in points than your traditional chicken philly.
Note: This recipe is an adaptation from another chicken philly that I posted about months ago. I really like this one today because it only uses 1 piece of bread instead of a light hot dog (or hoagie).
So you can have more of the filling than you could before…and less bread means less points. I love being able to still eat my favorite comfort foods while still watching and counting my SmartPoints.
I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself (and this was a key for me) because I still get to eat my favorite foods…I just have to be a bit creative on making them work within my points and be healthy.
Other times that I have tried Weight Watchers, I think I was trying to beat the system. This time, I am taking every piece of information I have at my disposal and using it.
Like exercising more and getting those FitPoints. Or using the apps to really get great, quick workouts in.
I am becoming intentional about what I am putting into my body. I used to eat Lean Cuisines all the time, or other processed foods. I am trying to eat mainly real food and not as much junk.
Junk is okay, but in moderation.
I have made that commitment to myself when I decided to restart my journey to a better me.
But, just because I am being more intentional with what I am putting in my body doesn’t mean I can’t have the foods I love. And I love me a good philly cheesesteak sandwich.
This recipe is so good for me because I know that it’s combining those things that I love but also still letting me eat real, unprocessed food. What is better than that? Not much, if you ask me.
Skinny Open Faced Chicken Philly
- 4 slices bread toasted
- 12 oz package precooked chicken cubed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of reduced fat provolone cheese
- Heat a non-stick wok to medium-low heat. Coat it with olive oil spray. Add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers are softened.
- Add in the cubed chicken and spices, cooking until the chicken is cooked through. After the chicken is cooked, divide the contents into 4 quadrants.
- Add a slice of cheese to each of the quadrants and let the cheese melt. Once the cheese is melted, scoop the contents onto the toasted slice of bread and serve immediately.