Happy July 4th everyone. So proud to be an American today and celebrating our countries birthday. So grateful to all of those who have served as well.
When you are wanting comfort food, but don’t want to use up all of your daily SmartPoints, look no further than this skinny open faced chicken philly. I love how the flavors come together for this sandwich. And it’s lower in points than your traditional chicken philly.
Note: This recipe is an adaptation from another chicken philly that I posted about months ago. I really like this one today because it only uses 1 piece of bread instead of a light hot dog (or hoagie) – so you can have more of the filling than you could before…and less bread means less points.
I love being able to still eat my favorite comfort foods while still watching and counting my SmartPoints. I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself (and this was a key for me) because I still get to eat my favorite foods…I just have to be a bit creative on making them work within my points and be healthy.
Other times that I have tried Weight Watchers, I think I was trying to beat the system. This time, I am taking every piece of information I have at my disposal and using it. Like exercising more and getting those FitPoints. Or using the apps to really get great, quick workouts in.
I am becoming intentional about what I am putting into my body. I used to eat Lean Cuisines all the time, or other processed foods. I am trying to eat mainly real food and not as much junk. Junk is okay, but in moderation. I have made that commitment to myself when I decided to restart my journey to a better me. But, just because I am being more intentional with what I am putting in my body doesn’t mean I can’t have the foods I love. And I love me a good philly cheesesteak sandwich.
This recipe is so good for me because I know that it’s combining those things that I love but also still letting me eat real, unprocessed food. What is better than that? Not much, if you ask me.
Skinny Open Faced Chicken Philly
- 4 slices bread toasted
- 12 oz package precooked chicken cubed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices of reduced fat provolone cheese
- Heat a non-stick wok to medium-low heat. Coat it with olive oil spray. Add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers are softened.
- Add in the cubed chicken and spices, cooking until the chicken is cooked through. After the chicken is cooked, divide the contents into 4 quadrants.
- Add a slice of cheese to each of the quadrants and let the cheese melt. Once the cheese is melted, scoop the contents onto the toasted slice of bread and serve immediately.