Spice up your taco night with these Coca-Cola Life Korean beef tacos. The flavor of the meat is sweet because of the Coca-Cola Life, but it also has a Korean BBQ kick to it that you usually can’t find in a taco.
I want to give you a little background about me. I work at Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta. I am constantly surrounded by Coke products that are free and available for the taking.
I have developed pretty great blinders since joining Weight Watchers. It’s difficult to be surrounded by so many sugary drinks, but I am proud that there are also so many healthier options.
One of these healthy drink options is Coca-Cola Life (it’s in the lighter green can if you are looking for it at the store).
It’s made with cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup and tastes the same to me as regular Coke. And, it’s lower in calories, which means it’s lower in SmartPoints.
It’s still 6 SP for a 12oz can, but that’s better than the 9 SP for a regular Coke. Yes, there are Diet Coke options as well, but I’ve NEVER been a fan of Diet Coke and that won’t be changing anytime soon.
One day at lunch (we have an amazing cafeteria), they were serving Korean Coca-Cola tacos. I knew I could recreate this recipe and I am so glad that I did.
I used Coca-Cola Life instead of regular Coke and made my own Korean marinade that is to die for. The meat has a sweetness to it that is unexpected, but there is still that Korean kick that you expect to find.
And cooking these tacos in the slow cooker was the best thing I could have done. It made it SO easy to get the meat tender, yet still be juicy.
Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Life Korean Beef Tacos
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1 can Coca-Cola Life
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sambal oelek
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 soft taco shells
- coleslaw optional
Marinate the Steak:
- In a large ziplock bag, place the steak and all the spices and ingredients except the Coca-Cola Life, taco shells and coleslaw. Make sure to cover the steak with the marinade completely. Place in the refrigerator and marinate at least 8 hours, or overnight.
Cook the Meat:
- Spray the slow cooker insert with olive oil spray. Place the contents of the ziplock bag including the marinade into the slow cooker. Add the Coca-Cola Life to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
Create the Tacos:
- Once the meat is done cooking, take it out and shred it. It should be easy to pull it apart and shred. Set it aside.
- Assemble the tacos by getting a taco shell, filling it with the meat (and sauce if you want) and top it with coleslaw, if using. Serve immediately.