Meatless Monday doesn’t have to be boring. This spicy black bean burger with guacamole are easy to make and have just enough kick in them to make you forget it’s Monday. They take about 15 minutes to make and are a great and hearty meal.
I might be what you call a burger connoisseur. I absolutely love a juicy, cheesy burger that is cooked to perfection. Well, unfortunately, on Weight Watchers eating burgers all the time isn’t really in the cards. What I love about this recipe is that you still get the burger vibe without all the added points. And who doesn’t love guacamole?
To me, a great black bean burger needs a few things. It needs to stay together and not fall apart when I pick it up. It needs to have some flavor or a kick to it. And it needs to taste great.
This burger hits all 3 of those checkboxes. The panko breadcrumbs help to keep the burger together and not fall apart. The spices give this burger a great taste and a bit of a kick. So, what are you waiting for?
Related: Oh So Easy Chicken Salad
To make this spicy black bean burger with guacamole recipe:
In a food processor, pulse the garlic, red pepper and jalapeno. Add in the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and pulse until everything is chopped.
*You don’t want to over pulse your food, or it won’t stick together very well.
Take your black bean mixture and make patties. Put the patties on a prepared medium-low heat non-stick pan and cook about 5-7 minutes on each side. Put the cooked patty on a bun and then add in the guacamole you hopefully made earlier.
Spicy Black Bean Burger
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 16 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper stemmed and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 light hamburger buns
- Put the red onion, jalapeno and garlic into a food processor. Pulse for about 10 seconds.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the hamburger buns and guacamole. Pulse until everything is chopped up. (Make sure to not over pulse).
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil. Heat the pan on medium-low heat. Make 4 patty’s with the black bean mixture. Cook each patty about 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Once they are cooked, put them on hamburger buns and add the guacamole on top.