When I first decided to start this blog, part of my motivation was to lighten up some of my favorite recipes. That’s everyone’s goal when it comes to losing weight, right? We all want to eat the same things, but just lighter versions of them.
I also wanted to open up my recipe options by attempting to lighten up some other bloggers’ favorite recipes. Today, I am featuring Spicy Romano Chicken pasta – a family favorite from Christine at Christine Everyday. I have “known” Christine for a while now, and I am so excited to feature this recipe.
The challenge with any cream sauce is that it usually uses heavy cream or whipping cream. Neither of these are good options for Weight Watchers – obviously. So, you have to find alternatives that will still give you the creaminess without all the points. What’s the secret? Read on below!
Related: Lightened Up Lasagna
To prepare the sauce:
Mix the Almond milk (or whatever lowfat milk you choose) with the cornstarch. The consistency won’t be quite as thick as heavy cream, but it will thicken up nicely when it gets cooked. Heat the milk mixture along with the salt and pepper in a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat. Constantly stir it until it thickens completely. Then take it off the burner and add in the cheeses. Stir to combine.
To prepare the rest of the meal:
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until al dente – according to the package directions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, scallions, and sundried tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes.
Add in the chicken and continue stirring, warming up the chicken. Add in the 1oz of heavy cream, along with the milk-cheese mixture stirring constantly. Add in the cooked pasta and stir to coat.
Remove from heat and place in bowls to serve. Enjoy!
I was a little nervous about Jeremy liking this recipe because of the sundried tomatoes. Well, it is husband approved – and one that we will be making more.
Will this become a staple at your house, because I think it will for us?
Spicy Romano Chicken Pasta
- 2 cups Almond milk or another lowfat milk
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 2 oz Romano cheese grated
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 2 oz sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 oz heavy cream
- 8 oz uncooked pasta
- 2 oz Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken strips
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Combine the almond milk and the cornstarch together. Mix it until the cornstarch is no longer lumpy.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat. Add the milk-mixture, salt and pepper. Cook until it thickens, stirring constantly. (It will start to get lumpy as it cooks. This is normal...just make sure to keep stirring it).
- Once the milk-mixture is thickened, remove it from the heat and fold in the cheeses and cayenne pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In another large non-stick skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil. Add in the mushrooms, scallions and sundried tomatoes. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the chicken and cook until the chicken is warmed. Stir in the heavy cream and 1/2 of the milk-mixture. Add in the pasta and then add in the remaining milk-mixture. Stir to coat and serve.