Eating desserts can be a challenge when you are losing weight on Weight Watchers. But it doesn’t have to be! These strawberry lemon shortcakes are perfect and tastes wonderful. And the best part? They are only 5 SmartPoints per serving.
My sweet tooth is serious and can be such a struggle on Weight Watchers. Sometimes after dinner (or lunch), all I want is something sweet – mostly chocolate – to curb that craving.
And when I am not craving chocolate or just don’t have any of my chocolate chips to pop in my mouth, I turn to these shortcakes.
Why? Because they taste wonderful and are easy to make. Plus, who wouldn’t want a sweet treat for only 5 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers? That is totally doable, in my opinion!
When I am getting stressed (which I have been during the construction), I love sweets. And sweets aren’t good when you are trying – and struggling – to lose weight.
But I found something that isn’t terrible for me, and totally curbs that sweet tooth. Hello, lover. This recipe is not only kid friendly and toddler approved, it’s one that we make over and over again.
These strawberry lemon shortcakes are a perfect dessert for your Easter brunch. A little sweet, and a tad bit tart. A perfect combo in my book!
Strawberry Lemon Shortcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons light butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons Almond-Milk or other low-fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- fat free cool whip
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
To Prepare the Shortcakes:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl (I used a ramekin), melt the 2 Tablespoons butter and pour the melted butter in with the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg. Stir in the milk, honey, yogurt, and lemon zest. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix to combine.
- Spoon 8 dough balls onto a prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
To Prepare the Whipped Cream:
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tablespoon honey, the remaining yogurt and fat free cool whip.
Assemble Your Strawberry Shortcake:
- Cut a shortcake in half. Add some of the whipped cream mixture. Add the fresh strawberries to the top and enjoy.