If you are in the mood for meatloaf, try these sweet and spicy mini meatloaves instead. The flavor combination is unexpected, but strong and delightful. They take your mom’s meatloaf and turns it up a notch.
Over the weekend, I wanted to make something quick and easy for dinner. This recipe from Food Network called the Best and Lightest Cookbook completely delivered on ease. I don’t know what makes meatloaf a wonderful comfort food, but it definitely is a great comfort food. This one was so different that I didn’t really know what to expect.
These sweet and spicy mini meatloaves because they seemed really easy to make – and they definitely were. All you have to do is pulse the bread slices, onion and carrot. Put it in a bowl and add the turkey and beef, egg, and curry powder, salt and pepper. Mix it until just combined. Shape into 4 mini meatloaves.
Mix the ketchup and apricot jam in a small bowl and brush over the meatloaves. Bake in the oven until just cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. I keep saying it, but this recipe was so easy to make. I have to admit that I do love meatloaf, and would order it at a restaurant if it was on the menu.
Have you ordered meatloaf at a restaurant before?
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
Sweet and Spicy Mini Meatloaves
- 2 slices whole wheat bread torn into pieces
- 1/2 small onion quartered
- 1 medium carrot quartered
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 375
- Pulse the bread in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl. Next, pulse the onion and carrot in the food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to the large bowl.
- Add the turkey, beef, egg and the curry powder, salt and pepper. Mix by hand until combined. Shape into 4 small meatloaves on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Mix the ketchup and chutney in a small bowl and brush over the meatloaves. Transfer to the oven and bake until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.