When you are craving veggies and meat, look no further than this turkey and beef minestrone. The combination of the turkey and beef with the veggies make this soup to die for. Seriously…it’s so good.
I wanted this to be a one pot meal. And when I was testing this recipe out, I made it into a one pot meal. But let me tell you that this CAN’T be a one pot meal.
You have to drain the meat. As much as I wanted this to be a one pot meal, the fat that was leftover from my first attempt was terrible. So, just trust me that you need to cook the meat separate.
To make this turkey and beef minestrone:
Heat a nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and cook the beef and turkey until cooked through. You can season the meat with salt and pepper if you would like (we did this and it added so much flavor). Drain any fat and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil sprays to medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, including the meats, and cook until well combined, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low. Add the squash and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Turkey and Beef Minestrone
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 28 oz tomatoes diced
- 1 medium squash quartered
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 sprays olive oil spray
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or less depending on preference
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh basil chopped, for garnish
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and cook the beef and turkey until cooked through. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Spray a large stock pot with the olive oil spray and heat to medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, including the meats, and cook until well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Add the squash and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Thank you Madison! It is so delicious and tasty. I love soup even in the summertime. It’s perfection.
This soup looks SO good! These photos are gorgeous!
Oh my goodness…this just made my night. Please let me know how you guys liked it. We loved it! I’d love to hear what you guys liked/didn’t like.
My boyfriend just saw this on my Facebook and is now getting all the ingredients tonight!
Thank you. It probably could go in the slow cooker. I’m not sure when you would add everything, or just dump it all and cook, but I’m sure it could work. I would be worried about the grease from the cooked meat, though. Maybe it wouldn’t be a problem in the slow cooker though.
Yes, it’s so good. I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did. We loved it!
Thanks Mary! It is delicious and pretty easy to make (minus the chopping).
This looks delicious! And I bet it would work in the slow cooker too, right?
This looks amazing 🙂 I’ve (weirdly) been craving minestrone soup lately, so this is a perfect post for me to come across today!
Yum! Looks delish! Great photos, too! 🙂