Do you eat a lot of fast food on the weekends? If so, try this turkey taco salad instead. This is an easy and healthy alternative to eating fast food. It also only takes about 20 minutes to make.
Just knowing that I don’t have to settle for fast food when you are hungry. Most of the ingredients for this taco salad were things I had on hand already. That was a win to me!
Ingredients you will need to make this recipe
What made this salad so good was that I made my own taco seasoning. This is essential to help cut back on MSG or too much sodium.
This helped to make the turkey meat healthier, which is the goal, right?
You can use the meat in so many other ways too – like in tacos or burritos, or turkey lasagna, or turkey spaghetti.
What is your favorite salad recipe?
Turkey Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can green chilies
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1/2 T brown sugar
- lettuce I used a head of lettuce
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
To cook the meat:
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil. Add the turkey, onion and garlic Cook until the turkey is almost cooked through.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, green chilies and crushed tomatoes. Bring pan to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Remove from heat.
To put together the salad:
- While the meat is simmering, rinse the lettuce and place your desired amount on a plate. Add the tomatoes, cheese (if using), avocado and salsa.
- Lastly, add the meat mixture and serve immediately