When you are dieting, you really have to stop yourself from eating fast food all the time, especially for lunch. Oh wait, that’s just me? Well, I am guilty of it, and even if you don’t want to admit it, you probably are too. You know what though? It’s ok! We can stop ourselves from eating junk and crap and actually eat something healthy for lunch!
I know…it’s a crazy concept to me too. But on Saturday, I made this delicious turkey taco salad and it was EXACTLY what I needed. Just knowing that I don’t have to settle for fast food when you are hungry. Most of the ingredients for this taco salad were things I had on hand already. That was a win to me!
What made this salad so good was that I made my own taco seasoning. This is essential to help cut back on MSG or too much sodium. This helped to make the turkey meat healthier, which is the goal, right? I hate when you have “healthy” dishes that taste like poo-poo. I am sure you all know what I am talking about. But I can tell you that this turkey taco meat isn’t close to tasting like poo. It is flavorful, delicious and so easy to make.
Related: Lightened Up Lasagna
You can use the meat in so many other ways too – like in tacos or burritos, or turkey lasagna, or turkey spaghetti.
To make the turkey meat mixture:
In a nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the turkey, onion and garlic and cook until the turkey is almost cooked through. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, green chilies and crushed tomatoes. Simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the turkey is fully cooked. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Remove the pan from heat.
To put together the salad:
While the meat is simmering, rinse the lettuce and place your desired amount on a plate. Add the tomatoes, cheese (if using), avocado and salsa. Lastly, add the meat mixture and serve immediately.
Turkey Taco Salad
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 can green chilies
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1/2 T brown sugar
- lettuce I used a head of lettuce
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup cheese shredded
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
To cook the meat:
- In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil. Add the turkey, onion and garlic Cook until the turkey is almost cooked through.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, green chilies and crushed tomatoes. Bring pan to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Remove from heat.
To put together the salad:
- While the meat is simmering, rinse the lettuce and place your desired amount on a plate. Add the tomatoes, cheese (if using), avocado and salsa.
- Lastly, add the meat mixture and serve immediately