This whole wheat penne with sausage and spinach recipe has 4 key ingredients: penne, sausage, spinach and broccoli – and you would never know that spinach and broccoli are in this recipe. It’s that good.
You know, quick and easy meals are what I love more than anything. But what do I love even more than that? Ones that are one pot meals. Technically this is a 2 pot meal – only because of the pasta. But now you can make this in only 2 pots! That means less dishes to clean after dinner is cooked. It’s the little things sometimes that have the biggest impact on your day.
Everything besides the pasta can be cooked in one pot which just makes life easier. We have a toddler running around these days, so it’s so nice to only have to watch 1 or 2 pots while I’m cooking and he’s running around.
It also helps so much to know that you don’t have to use a ton of dishes to cook this meal. It can be done quickly and easily, which is the best thing.
If you need a good pot for a recipe like this, this one is great. I like this one because it’s a large size, it’s stainless steel and cooks the food so evenly.
I also love one pot meals because they are usually simple. And this one is one of those amazingly easy, delicious one pot meals.
How to make this Whole Wheat Penne with Sausage and Spinach:
- Cook the penne
Cook the penne by bringing a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne noodles according to the package directions. Once the pasta is cooked al dente, remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat
- Add the garlic and sausage
Cook, until the sausage is cooked
- Add the canned tomatoes, red wine and tomato paste.
Stir to combine
- Add the broccoli and spinach
Keep cooking until the broccoli is tender and the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the cooked penne and enjoy
What’s your favorite Italian recipe?
Whole Wheat Penne with Sausage and Spinach
- 1 package Italian sausages mild or hot, sliced thin
- olive oil
- 6 cloves large garlic minced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli florets chopped
- 1 bunch spinach chopped
Cook the Penne:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne noodles according to the package directions. Once the pasta is cooked al dente, remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
Cook the Sausage:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, add the garlic and sausages. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sausages are cooked.
- Add the canned tomatoes, red wine, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add the broccoli and spinach and keep cooking until the broccoli is tender and the spinach has wilted. Add in the pasta you set aside earlier, and stir to combine.