Finding an alternative to the buffalo wing while on Weight Watchers was a challenge. Not any more! This slow cooker shredded buffalo chicken salad is a perfect substitute for those chicken wing cravings (we all have them…don’t think you are alone)!
I admit it. I miss chicken wings. Specifically, I miss honey BBQ chicken wings (boneless or on the bone). A chicken wing on Weight Watchers is 6 SmartPoints.
ONE CHICKEN WING IS 6 POINTS! Yea…I haven’t even gone down that rabbit hole yet because I know if I have one, I will want 10. And a side of fries. And my beloved Angry Orchard cider (9 SmartPoints).
So, I had to come up with a solution because the cravings got bad. Like really bad. Like I could have blown it one night when we went to our local pizza joint.
This solution came in the form of a buffalo chicken salad. What I love about this buffalo chicken recipe is that you can use it for anything. We made tacos with it, the salad (of course) and so many other things.
While I don’t think these cravings will ever go away, I know that making this slow cooker shredded buffalo chicken salad is a smarter move than those 6-point-a-piece buffalo chicken wings.
This salad is only 2 SmartPoints, and tastes almost like the chicken wings. Yes, it’s a little different since you eat this with a fork and the wings with your hands, but it’s much smarter when it comes to my daily SmartPoint allowance.
Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion quartered
- salt and pepper
- 1 celery stick roughly chopped
- 2 cups buffalo sauce
- 3 Tablespoons light ranch dressing
- 1/8 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- romaine lettuce
- cucumber chopped
- tomato chopped
- carrots chopped or shredded
Cook the Chicken
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, onion and celery stick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set the slow cooker to cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Assemble the Salad
- Once the chicken is cooked, take the breasts out and shred them with 2 forks. This should be easy since the chicken has been cooking for hours.
- After it is shredded, place it in a medium bowl. Add the buffalo sauce and stir to completely coat the chicken.
- In a serving bowl, mix together the lettuce, tomato, carrots and cucumbers. Sprinkle the cheese on top and place the buffalo chicken on top of the cheese. Serve immediately.