Macaroni and cheese doesn’t have to mean you are selling yourself short on flavor. This healthy macaroni and cheese with broccoli recipe is hearty, creamy and cheesy, which is a win-win for any mac and cheese recipe.
Don’t let the word broccoli deter you from trying this dish.
When I was little, I used to want to be Kraft mac and cheese. Like from the box. Apparently, I loved this stuff so much that I had decided that I didn’t only want to be Kraft mac and cheese, I wanted to marry it.
Granted, I was probably 4 or 5, but this story has been told many times – thanks Meme – and I can’t really hide from it.
To be fair, I really did love Kraft mac and cheese and ate it probably every meal for a long time. I mean, why else would they tell me I wanted to marry it?
Well, some 28 years later I still love macaroni and cheese, but I like the adult version of it.
This recipe is a healthy version of the classic with a few additions. I don’t know a kid that doesn’t love mac and cheese, and this is no exception.
Steamed broccoli swoops in to make this dish feel a little bit more grown up, and I added pre-cooked chopped chicken because I wanted this to be more like a meal than a side dish. And boy, did it deliver.
What is your favorite pasta recipe?
Healthy Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 package pre-cooked chicken strips chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 4oz package light semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs. I used goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk or another low-fat milk
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced fat cheese shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli florets chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil spray to medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Remove the onion from skillet and add the semisoft cheese. Add the chicken and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and Almond Milk. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot to a boil for steaming the broccoli. Steam the broccoli until it is crisp, yet cooked. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Add the cooked macaroni, spinach and broccoli.