Macaroni and cheese doesn’t have to mean you are selling yourself short on flavor. This healthy macaroni and cheese with broccoli recipe is hearty, creamy and cheesy, which is a win-win for any mac and cheese recipe.
Don’t let the word broccoli deter you from trying this dish.
When I was little, I used to want to be Kraft mac and cheese. Like from the box. Apparently, I loved this stuff so much that I had decided that I didn’t only want to be Kraft mac and cheese, I wanted to marry it.
Granted, I was probably 4 or 5, but this story has been told many times – thanks Meme – and I can’t really hide from it.
To be fair, I really did love Kraft mac and cheese and ate it probably every meal for a long time. I mean, why else would they tell me I wanted to marry it?
Well, some 28 years later I still love macaroni and cheese, but I like the adult version of it.
If you are interested in additional pasta recipes, I suggest trying this creamy chicken pasta with bacon recipe or the creamy Bruschetta chicken pasta recipe.
This recipe is a healthy version of the classic with a few additions. I don’t know a kid that doesn’t love mac and cheese, and this is no exception.
Steamed broccoli swoops in to make this dish feel a little bit more grown up, and I added pre-cooked chopped chicken because I wanted this to be more like a meal than a side dish. And boy, did it deliver.
What is your favorite pasta recipe?
Healthy Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 package pre-cooked chicken strips chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 4oz package light semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs. I used goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk or another low-fat milk
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup reduced fat cheese shredded
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli florets chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil spray to medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Remove the onion from skillet and add the semisoft cheese. Add the chicken and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and Almond Milk. Add to the chicken mixture and stir until thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot to a boil for steaming the broccoli. Steam the broccoli until it is crisp, yet cooked. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Add the cooked macaroni, spinach and broccoli.
Thanks Rachel. It’s so delicious!
This is my kind of meal! Yum!!
It really is the ultimate comfort food. And I have to say that this recipe is so filling and perfect for when you need comfort food.
Thank you Missy! It’s so good…trust me. The almond milk is a great substitute (we don’t have regular milk in the house, so I only use almond milk to cook with).
This was something I was so happy worked out. It tasted SO good. I love that sign too. It’s one of the few that I left when we decluttered our house. It’s perfect.
Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food and now, thanks to this I can eat it guilt free!
Looks so delicious! I have never tried almond milk in mac n cheese, great idea!
Yummmm! I love mac & cheese andddd broccoli! Looks so delicious 🙂 I love your sign too– I obviously have the same one 😉