Confession time: I used to love the Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell. I’m a little scared to find out how many points that is on Weight Watchers (it’s 17 SmartPoints…eek). I created this hearty beef taco bake earlier this summer because the cravings are real guys. They are so real. This recipe is only 8 Freestyle points per serving on WW.
Watch this video to learn how to make this recipe
It was fun to create a recipe based on what I loved from the Taco Bell version. To my knowledge (and I haven’t had the Taco Bell version in a long time) is that this one is on par with their version…but this one is MUCH healthier!
If you are looking for another taco recipe, these low carb tacos are perfect.
Doesn’t this look delicious?
I used a combo of ground beef and low-fat refried beans (loved the beans in this dish) with canned tomatoes to really bring this recipe to a new level.
Mixing it all together just brings that much more flavor to this delicious recipe – and who doesn’t want more flavor with the food they are eating?
If you are interested in other meaty recipes, try this personal sized lasagna recipe or this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe.
What are your favorite meat recipes?
Hearty Beef Taco Bake
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 cup reduced fat refried beans
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained and rinsed
- 4 oz Cabot cheese reduced fat, grated
- 3 large tortillas
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef over medium-low heat until it’s completely browned and cooked through. Drain the fat.
- In the same skillet, add the refried beans and mix with the cooked beef. Stir consistently until the beans have melted with the beef (you will understand what I mean when you are cooking this). Add the taco seasoning, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- In a prepared Pyrex dish, lay one tortilla shell on the bottom. Add the beef mixture next. Top with the grated cheese. Repeat until you have used up all 3 tortillas. Spread the enchilada sauce on top of the pie and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy!
I notice the serving size says 6 but in the video it’s cut into 8 servings. Are the nutrition facts for 6 or 8 servings?
I haven’t tried corn tortillas with this recipe, but I don’t think it would be an issue. I don’t know how large it would be, though since corn tortillas don’t come in burrito size (that I know of). If you try it with corn tortillas, let me know how it goes.
Have you ever made it with corn tortillas? I have made a recipe before with flour tortillas and it got really soggy. I think I will try this with corn instead of flour. Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe
I believe that you could use any cheese that you have on hand. If you don’t have Mexican cheese, you could use just cheddar. But I think any kind of cheese would be fine.
Can I use a different cheese, and what would be a good substitute
Thank you. So glad you guys loved it.
Just made it and my husband and I love it! Thank you!!
The video used a 9×9, but I have also used a round cake pan to make this too. It’s up to you.
What size Pyrex dish do I use? 7×11, 9×9, 8×8? Thanks
Thanks Mary! I hope you try this recipe and love it. It’s SO good!
Wow this looks awesome! Pinning to make soon! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much Missy! This recipe was so good and so much healthier than the Taco Bell version (and so good).
Holy cow this looks delicious! I love taco bell but haven’t had it in ages, I will be making this!
It was so easy and tasty. I love Mexican food too – so much. I love the cheese dip and the chips – they are one of my biggest weaknesses. I have to count out my chips and try to stick to only that many. No more.
Thanks Macy. It was DELICIOUS and such a great dinner option. I love having this option instead of the Taco Bell version.
Ohhh this looks so easy and good!! I love Mexican food – we went out last night for it. For sure pinning for later!
This sounds SO good! I can’t wait to try it. I also love the mexican pizzas from Taco Bell!